07 May, 2011

Kayaking With Some Ladies

Two Thursdays ago, Alex's "wicked amazing" cousin, Jen Smith, came to Montgomery for a visit. She flew all the way from Rhode Island to spend a week with our beloved Alexandria. Early in the week, Alex and Brittany and I decided it would be a good idea to go kayaking as soon as Jen arrives, one because Brittany has the day off, two, I had the afternoon off, and three, it would be the only time for us all to have together during the day. So, it was set, after the girls picked up Jen from the airport, we were off to go Kayaking. 



Where in Alabama can you go kayaking? Well, good question, it's one I had to ask several times. Lacee and Corrine, two of our close female friends, went kayaking the other weekend and told us about this place... Coosa River Adventures. It was fairly cheap to go kayaking... 22.50 for a two man, tandem, sit-on-top kayak. The whole course was about seven miles... The true question was... are we up to the challenge?



Well, it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. Alexandria and I flipped a total of four times. Brittany and Jen flipped only once. What a day . . . It was a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to the next time we go...
However, there was a lesson learned from this day . . . Kayaking is very much a team building sport when you have double kayaks. Double kayaks are referred to as tandems  . . . that means working as a single unit. Well, I had some problems with that . . .  I was a very prideful man... I didn't want to listen to Alexandria, she had a different way of rowing . . . I was taught one way, she another. However, I should have known better than to puff up my chest and expect her to follow my lead no matter what. That's not team work... that's egotistical and insecurity. I love her so much. I should have been more willing to love her and work next to her, not drag her along.

I am sorry, babe, for the way I treated you that day! I love you and I should have known better. I want all over guys to know being a man isn't overpowering or belittling . . . humility and meekness. And meek doesn't mean weak... it's POWER UNDER CONTROL. Christ was meek, so why can't we be?



No comments:

Post a Comment