20 December, 2010

Driving Paranoia...

This past Saturday, I took a defensive driving course. The first time I've taken a class was the summer after my Junior year of high school. I was a very prideful and foolish young man. I was very arrogant in thinking I was an exception to laws, rules, and regulations.

It was a hot and muggy afternoon in Athens, Georgia. I had a voice recital in a Lutheran church down town. After a great night's performance, I decided to treat myself to some new clothes. Well, I lost track time and realized I only had 20 minutes to get home for curfew. Well, instead of calling home and telling Mom of my situation, I decided I would be able to just speed home and beat the clock. Ha... see foolish...

Well, on my way home I've been doing a solid 80-85 mph, but I was stopped in Comer in Madison County. The sheriffs of Madison County had a slow night, so when I was pulled over, within fifteen minutes, I saw six sheriff vehicles and 10 officers. Well, none of them could believe that I was under 18 years old, because of how old I looked. I was dressed in charcoal gray slacks, a blue button up, and a tie to match. I had a full facial hair to top it all off. Well, after the ridicule, I was arrested and put in the back of one of the sheriff's cars to await a ride to pick me up.

Needless to say, it wasn't one of my shining moments. So, indorder to soften the blow of the judge's conviction, I took a defensive driver's course. And it did, I had my liscence suspended for a month. Lucky, huh? But yeah, the first time i took the defensive driver's course, I dismissed most of the information that I had and I only learned enough to pass the class. However, this time around was much different. My instructor was Lee Roberts. He has been working for Defensive Driver's School for about 10 years. He only works six days a month. He's had a pretty inpressive life. He's served our country in the Navy. Then he was a bus driver, then a train operator, and then a teacher... he's a jack of all trades. Well, he made the class very interesting, gave personal experiences to illustrate different points or reason why we have such laws. Great teacher... I would recommend learning from him to anyone.

Well, since I've taken the class, my alertness for other drivers has been enhanced. My mom drove home and I was a nervous wreck. She was doing so much that was wrong. I was clinging on to the handle on the side door for dear life. She was talking up and storm to the point of distraction. She would slam on the breaks, to run red lights, or cut people off. Man, just gives me more gray hair just thinking about it. Hahahaha. And other people make me nervous too! I see people trying to multitask while they drive... one woman was putting on make-up, eating, and talking on the phone. Goodness, people are just so reckless now a days! I am not a proud defensive driver!

3 comments:

  1. Aw. Look at you being all grown up. It suits you, Mr. Walsh. You've become quite the man. I love you and I can't wait to marry you. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha this sounds like Dad... he can be switching gears, talking on two cell phones, writing down something in his notebook (all this for his work stuff)... all while driving down the interstate! It can be pretty funny to watch in the passenger seat! lol He's gotten better though, I think. He'll pull off on the side of the road if he has too much going on! :)
    I like this background alot! It makes me happy! :)
    ~MeM the friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. this blog made me laugh. its so nice to grow up, right? lol

    ReplyDelete